- This event has passed.
Narrative Practices for ReclaimingHope, Possibility and Purpose With People Experiencing Distress
June 2, 2017 - June 3, 2017$180.00 – $230.00
Presenter:Jim Duvall M.Ed., R.S.W.
Date:Friday and Saturday, June 2 – 3, 2016 (9 am to 4:30 pm)
Fee:Regular Rate: $260.00
Early Bird Rate: $230.00 (must register before May 15, 2017)
Student rate: $180.00
Venue: JST INSTITUTE, 20 Legas Drive Galveston Island, Texas
When people are consumed by despair the notion of restoring hope can prove to be challenging for many therapists. In this workshop you will learn the key elements of inspiring, liberating conversations for engaging with people through narrative practices to increase hope, restore choice and reclaim their sense of purpose and personal agency. You will learn what kinds of questions invite people to reconnect with their strongly held values and purposes. You will also learn particular conversational maps that assist in charting therapeutic conversations.
This workshop will include clear theoretical presentation, recorded examples of therapy sessions and experiential exercises that will emphasize micro-skill development for a highly interactive and energizing training experience.
Participants will learn:
1) How to ask invitational questions that generates hope, possibility and reclaim a sense of purpose.
2) How to use the absent-but-implicit conversational map for connecting with people’s strongly held values and alternative storylines.
3) How to employ re-membering conversations and the socially constructed genogram for breaking free from isolation and reconnecting with significant others.
4) How to understand and implement the key elements of a purposeful therapeutic conversation.
5) Clear ways to use these ideas and ways of working to immediately inspire and energize your practice.